It’s that time of year again, which means along with putting the tree up and hitting more wine bars than usual, you’ll also be receiving a string of messages from your nearest and dearest, asking what YOU would like for Christmas.
Gone are the days when books and CDs were the obvious option (hello Kindle and Spotify) plus in this day and age you don’t want to be guilty of wasteful, unnecessary consumerism. So, if you’re stuck for ideas, why not ask for gifts that will enhance your life and work as a freelancer?
To give you some inspiration, here are our top Christmas must-haves for every freelance PR pro. From stocking fillers to, ahem, investment pieces, these ideas will ensure you’re stylish, organised, and ready to take 2019 by storm!
We’ve seen a reusables revolution in 2018 and, as we all do our bit to fight the war on plastic, there are some beautiful products out there to help freelancers stay sustainable on the go. Here are a couple of our favourites.
- Stojo collapsible coffee cup: At under a tenner each, these coffee cups make the perfect stocking filler and collapse to just 2 inches. Thermal, leakproof and dishwasher safe, the stylish design is super easy to tuck away in your rucksack once you’re all caffeined up.
- Bamboo cutlery: If you’re anything like us, you’ll spend a large proportion of your time working and lunching in various coffee shops - it’s one of the major perks of freelance life! This beautifully presented bamboo cutlery is perfectly portable and a stylish way to ditch the plastics.
Being a freelancer and having a major obsession with stationary go hand in hand. With no set office space, stationary helps you to feel professional and ready to get on with business, wherever you happen to be. Here are our top picks.
- Personalised diary: Definitely one to pull out in client meetings. This smart and compact diary means you’ll never miss a meeting and with quirky personalisation and lots of colours to choose from, it definitely has the wow factor.
- Personalised moleskin notebook: Moleskin has long been the go-to brand for PR pros. These personalised notebooks come in a range of colours, making them the perfect stocking fillers.
A great benefit to freelancing is the ability to be flexible with your time, including squeezing your exercise regime in around your work schedule. Whether it’s hitting the gym, finding some zen at a favourite yoga class, or taking the dog for a walk, fitness gear is a great call for a PR pro at Christmas.
- Balance board: The freelance lifestyle can become a bit sedentary if you’re not careful, especially if you’re working at home every day. This nifty balance board - to be used with standing desks - is a great solution, keeping you moving while you work, improving circulation, burning calories and promoting a natural posture.
- Adidas Stan Smith trainers:One of the great benefits of freelancing is that you can wear trainers all day every day, if you so choose. This classic shoe will take you from client meetings, to networking events - or hot footing between the two.
From everyday rucksacks to overnighters, a freelancer’s luggage must be practical, durable and stylish. Here are our most coveted picks.
- Knomo: Sophisticated and beautifully crafted, these bags are perfect for karting all your bits and bobs around with you all day. So however much stuff you’ve got, you’re never short of pockets and compartments to put it all in!
- Kanken:Lightweight, durable and water-repellent, these are just the thing for coping with the unpredictable British weather. They even have a range of backpacks made from recycled plastic, so you can be environmentally conscious too.
And if you’re in the mood for something a bit more educational, how about a PR-focused gift that will help you to expand your knowledge in preparation for the year to come.
- A PR Week subscription: We all know we should spend more time keeping up to date with the latest industry news, but trade magazine subscriptions can be expensive. The gift of a quarter or a year’s supply of PR insights could be just the answer.
- Once Upon a Time in PR: This quirky book has been written by CIPR President Sarah Hall as the 4th in her FuturePRoof series. Consisting of 21 short stories, involving larger than life characters that are doing things differently in today’s PR world, it promises to be an entertaining and insightful read.
And finally, a failsafe stocking filler that’s sure to be super useful, is a gift card to your favourite cafe! But whatever Santa brings you this year, we hope that you have a relaxing, restorative and much-deserved Christmas and New Year break, and we’ll see you again in 2019.